£25,000 – £31,000 p.a. (depending on experience). Middlesbrough, UK.
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Friday 25th June 2021
Thanks to our continued growth, we’re looking for talented Developers to join our Engineering Team and play a crucial part in the success of our global digital projects. You’ll be working alongside experienced Engineers to build Gutenberg blocks with React, create powerful plugins, write PHP to extend the WordPress admin, and style solutions with HTML and CSS (don’t worry if you haven’t mastered all of that stack – we can provide training to the right candidate). We believe that strong teams deliver winning results, so we’re looking for engineers that will fit right in – the ideal person will be a problem solver with a great attitude and a genuine interest in modern development techniques, and you must have the drive to keep learning and improving. In return we offer a competitive salary, peer learning, technical training and flexible working, as well as an incredible working space and a supportive, creative culture. You’ll also get the opportunity to deliver unique digital projects for some of the big brands we work with including The Wall Street Journal, Amnesty International, and The Times.
What you’ll do
- Work with our Design & UX team to transform visual designs into web experiences.
- Develop and extend Gutenberg blocks using the React framework.
- Build and contribute to WordPress plugins using PHP.
- Maintain client websites, solve bugs and resolve issues as part of a team.
- Leverage WordPress APIs.
- Collaborate with our QA team to thoroughly test new features.
- Liaise with our clients where required (primarily via Slack and Google Hangouts).
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of efficiencies across client projects.
- Carry out constructive peer code reviews.
- Propose and deliver solutions to meet our clients’ requirements.
- Identify, document and promote best practice WordPress development, built to WordPress VIP standards.
Qualifications and experience
Incredible engineers can come from a wide range of backgrounds, so we’re not overly prescriptive about what qualifications the right candidate should have. We focus more on ability, attitude and experience, but ideally we’re looking for someone with some of the following skills and attributes:
- Commercial experience using WordPress / HTML / CSS / JS (minimum one year).
- Experience with React or similar frameworks.
- Experience using PHP.
- Experience in package managers and virtual machines for browser testing.
- Understanding of Webpack for build tooling.
- Experience with Git and GitHub for code reviews and deployments.
- Good understanding of Travis CI for the release builds.
- Modern approach to development.
- Great communication skills and the confidence to liaise with colleagues and clients.
- Drive to expand your knowledge and skill set.
Who we are
At Big Bite we specialise in building custom digital tools for global organisations, using the WordPress platform. We’ve transformed the digital landscapes of clients including News Corp, The Times, The Wall Street Journal and Amnesty International, and by delivering successful enterprise projects we’ve earned the status of WordPress VIP Gold Partner. We’re one of just nine agencies in the world to achieve that accreditation, and the only agency in the UK. Although we operate globally, our roots are firmly in Middlesbrough where our team of experienced professionals collaborate to deliver consultancy, design, development and ongoing support and maintenance. Every aspect of our projects is managed and built in-house, allowing our team to offer the kind of agile solutions, efficient troubleshooting and intimate client relationships that enterprise brands need to succeed.
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining our team, we’d love to hear from you. Email your CV, along with an outline of what interests you about the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org
*No agencies please