Thanks to our continued growth, we’re looking for a Senior Engineer to join our team and play a crucial part in the success of our global digital projects. You’ll be working alongside experienced Engineers to build Gutenberg blocks with React, create powerful plugins, write PHP to extend the WordPress admin, and style solutions with HTML and CSS (don’t worry if you haven’t mastered all of that stack – we can provide training to the right candidate).
We believe that strong teams deliver winning results, so we’re looking for senior engineers that will fit right in – the ideal person will be a problem solver with a great attitude and a genuine interest in modern development techniques, and you must have the drive to keep learning and improving. In return, we offer a competitive salary, plenty of peer learning, technical training and hybrid working, as well as an incredible working space and a supportive, creative culture. You’ll also get the opportunity to deliver unique digital projects for some of the global brands we work with including The Wall Street Journal, Amnesty International, and The Times.
What you’ll do
- Drive strategy and lead on technical vision for large projects.
- Mentor engineers and provide code reviews.
- Work closely with our Project Managers to estimate work for projects and break down goals into clearly defined, executable tasks.
- Provide direction for the engineering team across multiple projects and functional areas.
- Build and contribute to WordPress plugins using PHP.
- Develop and extend Gutenberg blocks using React framework.
- Work as part of a team to maintain client websites, solve bugs and address smaller client issues.
- Leverage WordPress APIs.
- Use initiative to improve efficiencies across client projects.
- Communicate directly with our clients, primarily via Slack and Google Hangouts.
- Propose solutions and to our client’s requirements.
- Work with our QA team to assist in testing new features.
- Assist with code reviews and approving pull requests.
- Identify, document and promote best practice WordPress development, built to WordPress VIP standards.
Qualifications and experience
Our Engineering Team has the perfect skills mix and we work together as a team to achieve our goals, leaning on each other for support and guidance. The digital industry moves fast, and we don’t expect candidates to know it all, so we focus more on ability, attitude, and experience, but if you have any of the following skills and attributes you’ll have a great foundation to continue learning:
- Commercial experience using WordPress / HTML / CSS / JS (minimum three years).
- Strong experience with React or similar frameworks.
- Experience using PHP.
- Experience in package managers and virtual machines for browser testing.
- Understanding of Webpack for build tooling.
- Experience with Git and GitHub for code reviews and deployments.
- Good understanding of Travis/Circle CI for the release builds.
- A modern approach to development.
- Great communication skills and the confidence to liaise with colleagues and clients.
- Drive to expand your knowledge and skill set.